Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A little sentimental...

Happy Father's Day to all of the people who play a fatherly role in the life of a child :)  I have some people I personally want to thank and honor in this post.  I know I'm leaving some influential people out, and that doesn't mean that I don't love you ;)

My mother--although you are my mom, you spent many years being my only parent emotionally and financially.  You are a beautiful and wonderful woman and I've tried to honor you on as many days as I can.  We have had our differences but you are one of the greatest supporters of my life and I appreciate you endlessly for it.  My love for you is unconditional.  Thank you for making me a good person.

My father--although I don't remember meeting you until I was 11-years-old, your DNA has lived in me my entire life.  Most of your musical talent skipped me unfortunately, but I did get your double crown and the weird way that our middle fingernails grow.  We have had a strange relationship and I'm ready to trust and love you and know that you are going to love me even though we're very different.  You are a great man, husband, and father.  I am honored to be a part of your family and make you a part of mine.

Nicholas--although you are not an actual father (yet), you have shown me what a great step-father acts like.  You treat my son with love and respect.  You are not afraid to discipline him and that is so important for all of us.  We do a great job together and it's because of you that I've been able to keep my sanity throughout this past year and a half that I've had to live 1/2 time without this little guy who is the other love of my life.  Thank you for all that you are and all that you do.  My family feels complete because of you and I am honored to have you by my side to show my son what true love and partnership really are.

John--although things didn't work out between us, you are a dedicated father to our little boy.  We do a great job of working things out without having to go to court and I hope we can continue to grow as he grows.  I know it is more than difficult for both of us, but I feel like we're handling it in a way that provides what is best for Fisher and that is truly what matters.  I honestly wish you the best of everything and I hope that Fisher inspires you to be happy and take good care of yourself.

Pawpaw Duff--if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here.  I miss you so much even though we hadn't spent much time together in the years before you died.  You were old-school and therefore unconventional to me.  You showed me that chewing tobacco was nasty by giving me my first chew before I was five.  You showed me how to use a riding lawnmower.   You showed me that, as a waitress, dirty old men were my friends.  And I'll never forget the moment I feel like I made you most proud--you were trying to give my son a root beer barrel and I wasn't having it, but you weren't about to listen to me.  Then I gave you a look that could only have come from your genes and sharply inquired, "You ever been beat with your own cane, old man?"  Your smile was priceless.  And you listened.  

Harry John--you showed my son's father how important a good father is and that has made all the difference for my son.  You did things with him and held his trust and he was able to truly love you.  I love you too, for that and for the great man that you are and have been.  You are one of the greatest grand-dads I have ever seen.  I wish you peace and love.  I miss you.

Robby--you are one of my favorite husbands and fathers and I've learned so much from you and your family.  I admire you for all that you are and am proud to call you one of my best friends.  The relationship you have with your child is so very beautiful and I know that he will always know you are there for him and that he can trust you with everything.  I hope your day (and everyday) is filled with love and affection.  I am so proud that you are all working so hard to spend more years together and I hope one day that we can live close again :)

Charlie--you fathered the girls that I call my sisters and you are one of the first people who made me understand what a dad was supposed to be.  I was so jealous that they had someone like you but you always made me feel welcome and loved.  I am more than glad that your daughters and grandchildren have a wonderful man like you to look up to and I hope that you feel as loved and honored as you are.

To all the other dedicated parents out there--hats off to you!  Celebrate your love for your children and make sure they know how much you love them everyday.  Children, let your parents know how much they mean to you and honor and respect them as much as they deserve.  Life is short and not everyone has the opportunity to do so anymore.  Some people never had great parents, but that doesn't mean that they cannot be great parents as they learn and grow with their children.  These bonds are life-changing.  Grow with them in love and faith and don't let the moments pass you by.

1 comment:

  1. <3 You're awesome. Thanks for the encouraging words. :)

    ReplyDelete