Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2011

A little weary...

I think today may have been my last day at work.  I told a couple of my co-workers that I may not come in tomorrow morning.  I hate to do that, but it's not going to hurt anyone.  It will actually help them.  They may make more than a couple dollars an hour if one less person is there. 

I had an interview yesterday and it went well.  I was supposed to get a call today at 3pm but the guy hasn't called yet.  Maybe he doesn't need me, but that's ok.  I have an interview on Monday.  Now, I'm supposed to work on Monday but that's why I figured I'd just go ahead and quit.  Burn those bridges down so I can't even go back there in desperate times.  That's a desperate measure I don't care to take again.

I was telling my mom about it and I mentioned that the same person who yelled at me for being loud while filling the ice was telling me goodbye today.  She said, "I'll see ya tomorrow.  Work like I taught ya girl."  Um.  Here's the thing about that.  She hasn't taught me anything.  The very person she likes to compare herself to (and she thinks she's so much better) is one of the people who truly taught me to work my ass off.  To her, if you had time to lean, you had time to clean.  Hell, if you had time to go to the bathroom, you should be working instead.  However, I was perplexed by my current antagonist's remark and I told my mother.  She laughed and replied, "Yup.  Just don't go to work tomorrow and that's exactly what she taught you."

Lol.  I love my mom.

The job I'm interviewing for is nothing prestigious.  It's quite the opposite actually.  But it's easy and it's extremely flexible.  It only pays $7.95/hour but I'm honestly ready to try something that doesn't take everything out of my mind, body & soul on a daily basis.  And at least I'll know what kind of money to expect; I can count on that.  And a friendly work environment?  Yes please.  I'll take a couple of those.

Nick has been jumping through hoops to get a particular job since February.  We just found out yesterday that he didn't get the job.  It boils down to him not being able to pass a test because of his carpal tunnel.  Nobody bothered to tell him that he should practice and use the 4-5 months to strengthen his trigger finger squeeze.  We were really looking forward to a change.  A regular schedule meant more family time.  Being able to spend holidays together.  Insurance.  Tuition reimbursement.  Job security because this job doesn't shut down in the winter with the possibility of not re-opening.  I feel so bad for him.  And me.

I'm not wanting to just blog to complain.  These things are just irritating to me right now and I'm so tired.  We are both hard workers and should be able to make a living that doesn't include deals with the devil.  Here's my weary soul.  Would you like fries with that?

On the bright side (hopefully), I turned in my internship application yesterday in hopes for a paid position.  I should hear back in the next couple of weeks, which is good because I can plan for something else if it doesn't work out. 


In the meantime, I'm still researching low-residency programs for a master's of fine arts in creative writing.  The degree should be attainable while I work a full time job and still have some family time (at least a good couple days a week) because I need to learn how to be disciplined in my writing anyway.  Most of the coursework would be online and I could complete it on my own time.  It'll cost me about $30,000+ but I assume it will be worth it eventually.  And it puts me a step closer to a doctorate.  I'm trying to figure out if it's doable.  Paying for it, working, allowing Nick time to work on something great for his/our future. 


Life is a pain in the ass when you want better for yourself all the time.  Sometimes I just wish that I enjoyed working for the sake of working and then I could come home and enjoy the stuff I pay for.  The end.

But that's not it.  I want to keep my passions alive.  I want to be smarter, stronger, more secure.  I don't want to end up like my mom, who is about out of money and still waiting on her disability to go through.  I want to be able to retire and take care of myself and my loved ones and not go through that worry and pain. 


So I'll have to sacrifice some sleep and work my ass off to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment